Posted on 03/18/2021 at 02:21 PM by Madhu Gadia
This is a relatively quick bean burger recipe using canned chickpeas. I find that frozen or even restaurant veggie or bean burgers tend to be dry or bland. When testing this recipe my primary goal was to make sure it was flavorful and moist. I hope you enjoy them as much as my family does. And for an extra zing add a little cilantro chutney to your burger. See Veggie Bean Burger Video.
Prep Time: 10 Minutes Cook Time: 15 Minutes
1 (16-oz) can chickpeas
1/4 cup scallions (white and green parts), finely chopped
1/2 cup carrots, peeled and grated
2 teaspoons ginger, grated
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons green chiles, finely chopped, to taste
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
2 tablespoons bread crumbs
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 whole-wheat hamburger buns
4 tomato slices, garnish
4 onion slices, garnish
Cilantro Chutney (page 185), optional
Tomato ketchup (optional)
1. Drain and rinse the canned chickpeas. Make sure to drain all excess water. In a food processor, grind the beans until smooth.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, add ground beans, scallions, carrots, ginger, cumin, salt, green chilies, cayenne pepper, lemon juice, cilantro, and bread crumbs. Mix well.
3. Oil your palms and make 4 patties. Set aside.
4. Heat 2 tablespoons oil on medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add patties and cook for 5 to 7 minutes on each side until golden brown. (If needed, add a little more oil to help brown the patties.)
5. In the meantime, lightly oil the buns and place face down in a frypan or a griddle until light brown.
6. Place a patty on the bottom half of bun, top with tomatoes, onions, cilantro chutney, and tomato ketchup, as desired.
Note: You can make the patties up to one day ahead and grill them when ready to eat. For a grilling party, fully prepare the patties and reheat on the grill on aluminum foil.
Makes: 4 servings Serving Size: 1 sandwich Nutrition Information per serving: Calories: 311; Total Fat: 11g, Saturated Fat: 1g; Carbohydrate: 45g; Protein: 11g, Fiber: 10g, Sodium: 679mg