Posted on 02/17/2021 at 12:20 PM by Madhu Gadia
Chicken Tikka Masala
Chicken simmered in a creamy-tomato sauce is one of the most prevalent chicken dishes served in Indian restaurants.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Marinate Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Makes: 6 servings
1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
1 teaspoon garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
Tikka Masala Sauce
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste (optional)|
1 cup tomatoes, canned, crushed
1/2 cup water|
1/4 cup half and half
- Marinade Chicken: Mix yogurt, ginger, garlic, cumin, coriander, cayenne pepper, and salt. Pour over chicken and mix well. Marinate for 4 hours or more in refrigerate.
- Cook Chicken: Remove chicken from marinade, bake until cooked to internal temperature of 165F. Drain excess fat. Cut into 1-inch cubes. Set aside.
- Prepare Sauce: Heat oil in a heavy skillet. When oil is hot, Add onions. Fry onions until light brown, add garlic, ginger, cumin, garam masala, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Add tomatoes and salt.
- Turn off the heat. Mix in water. Using an immersion blender grind onion to a fine paste.
- Return to heat. Cover partially and cook for about 15-20 minutes, until sauce is thickened.
- Stir in half and half. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken pieces. Simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Recipe: Madhu Gadia, RD