Posted on 01/08/2021 at 01:51 PM by Madhu Gadia
Quick Rajma (Kidney Beans)
Traditional rajma, made with dry kidney beans that are soaked overnight and then cooked, takes a long time to prepare. Canned kidney beans are a good alternative for those rushed meals. They turn this into a quick and easy dish you’ll want to make again and again.
Prep Time: 10 Minutes Cook Time: 15 Minutes
1 (16 oz) can red kidney beans, or 1 1/2 cups cooked kidney beans
2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
1/8 teaspoon asafetida powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 cup onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon ginger, peeled and grated
2 tablespoons tomato sauce
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon lemon or lime juice
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
1. Drain and rinse kidney beans. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a medium fry pan on medium-high heat. Add asafetida and cumin seeds, cook for a few seconds until cumin seeds turn darker brown. Add the chopped onion and fry until light brown. Add garlic and ginger, cook for a few seconds. Add tomato sauce, turmeric, coriander powder, and cayenne pepper and stir for a few seconds.
3. Add the drained kidney beans and stir to coat with the spices. Add salt and water. Bring to boil, reduce heat to low boil, and simmer for about 10 minutes. Using a back of spoon, mash few kidney beans against the pan.
4. Add garam masala and lemon juice.
5. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with cilantro. Serve with rice or flatbread.
Makes: 4 servings Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Nutrition information per serving: Calories: 170; Total Fat: 7 g (Saturated Fat: 0.5 g); Carbohydrate: 20 g; Protein: 7 g, Fiber: 6 g, Sodium: 355 mg
Recipe from The Indian Vegan Kitchen by Madhu Gadia, MS, RD