Watch this video on YouTube to learn how to cook Dal Fry!
(Seasoned Pigeon Peas, Tadke Wali Toor Dal)
Gluten Free, Vegan
1 cup toor dal ((split, hulled pigeon peas)
3 cups water
3/4 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon canola oil
1/8 teaspoon asafetida
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 cup onion, finely chopped
2 tsp garlic cloves, finely minced
1 teaspoon ginger, finely chopped
1 cup tomatoes, finely diced
2 tsp green chilies, finely chopped
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper; to taste
1/4 teaspoon garam masala
1 tbsp lime juice
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Cook beans in a pressure cooker, instant pot or a skillet. To cook in a skillet, see note* below.
1. Wash dal in 2 to 3 changes of water. (Soak for 30 minutes or longer, if you have the
time.) Drain and cook.
2. In a pressure cooker or instant pot add drained dal, 3 cups water, turmeric, and salt. For
standard pressure cooker; cover with a lid and put the pressure weight in place. Once
pressure develops, reduce heat to medium and cook under pressure for 3 minutes. Cool
until pressure is released. For instant pot, set timer for 3 minutes and open once the
pressure is released.
3. Prepare seasoning: In a small fry pan heat oil on medium high heat. Add the asafetida and
cumin seeds. Cook for a few seconds until cumin seeds are golden brown. Add onions
and cook until golden brown. Add garlic and ginger, cook for a few seconds. Add
tomatoes, green chilies, coriander powder and cayenne pepper, cover and simmer for 2-3
minutes until tomatoes are soft. Using a masher, lightly mash the tomatoes.
4. Add the seasoning to the dal and stir. Return to heat and simmer for about 4 - 6 minutes
until the dal is of desired consistency. Remove from heat and stir in lime juice, garam
masala, and chopped cilantro.
5. Serve with rice or roti/flat bread. (Note: Dal thickens as it cools. To reheat, you may need
to add a little water.