Featured in O, The Oprah Magazine®
October 2009, page 132
It was called The Way To... COOK SQUASH
Seasoned Zucchini (Sukhi Lauki)
Seasoned Summer Squash in The Oprah Magazine
Bottle gourd or lauki has a similar texture to zucchini and is a good substitute in this dish. I use zucchini (available all year) most of the time to make this dish and lauki when in season and accessible. It is nice accompaniment to simple dal and rice meal. Cook only until tender for a fresh taste.
2 pounds bottle gourd/lauki or zucchini
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
2 teaspoons coriander powder
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Peel bottle gourd and cut into 1-inch pieces. If using zucchini, do not peel, cut into 1-inch pieces. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a nonstick fry pan on medium-high heat. Add cumin seeds cook for a few seconds until golden brown. Add the bottle gourd and stir.
- Stir in the turmeric, salt, cayenne pepper, and coriander powder.
- Add water. Cover with lid. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes until bottle gourd is tender to touch.
- Sprinkle garam masala and lemon juice and stir. Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with chopped cilantro.
Nutrition Information per serving: Calories: 54; Total Fat: 3 (Saturated Fat: 0.5); Carbohydrate: 6; Protein 2; Fiber: 2; Sodium: 367
From: The Indian Vegan Kitchen by Madhu Gadia, MS, RD (October 2009)